Sunday, May 8, 2011

General Election Day!!

On Saturday, it was election day, one that would be passed down through history. My parents woke up early in the morning and proceeded to the polling station and went for the votes. Even with my sister and my incessant speeches for them to vote for the opposition, they remained loyal to the PAP and thought 2 votes for the opposition would not make a difference. I agreed that the West Coast GRC would definitely won by the opposition and stopped arguing. When it was night, my family invited our friends and we crowded around the television to watch the results. Although everyone was laughing and joking about how Yam Ah Mee needed to go for toilet breaks and could not, or the fact that he paused for 10 whole seconds after reading a mistake, we were serious when it came to the results. It was not that shocking of a result. The PAP had deproved in almost every single constituency, but what struck me was that Ang Mo Kio, led by PM Lee, managed to improve to 69%. This was important to see how much support the PAP actually had. My sister and I were all rooting for the opposition and were glad when Hougang and Aljunied were won claiming 6 seats in parliment. We were glad that there was some opposition in the parliment to keep the PAP "in order". This was a much improved number of people compared to previous year's of 2. But we felt pity as a gentleman such as George Yeo had to leave the parliament and made jokes about replacing Tin Pei Ling with him. There was some sadness though as Joo Chiat and Potong Pasir lost so closely, by ~1%. Overall, i felt it was worth it to stay up 2am in the morning to watch the results, with its ups and downs. I hoped the Government will really improve this results and this atmosphere really made me keen to the elections that i can vote in 10 years time.

No comments:

Post a Comment